Dark Girl’s Premieres on OWN June 23!

oprah_winfrey_network_logo

PASS The WORD!!!!!! Ladies and Gents…On JUNE 23rd our documentary film “DARK GIRLS” finally premieres on OWN!!!. Major Love to Lady OW! and Blessings to ALL our DARK GIRLS Team, Fans and Friends.

Directors,
D.Channsin Berry and Bill Duke

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Dark Girl’s Premieres on OWN June 23!

1. Tari Williams says:

I am anxiously awaiting the premiere on OWN of Dark Girls on the 23rd. I will be assisting with a leadership training of young, southern, rural black women from Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi at the historical Tougaloo College, June 20th-25th. I would love to make the viewing of Dark Girls a group event. Since it will also be my first time viewing the film in its entirety, is there a discussion guide available for the film or suggested discussion questions? Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ripuree says:

Everyone already know what the problem is. That is, that we’ve fully downloaded the racial garbage as it was intended. We also know that when garbage goes in, only garbage will come out, and that the only way to remove computer or human garbage or virus, is to completely remove it all at once.

We know that a big part of the problem is the amount of money that we spend to not look at our hair, when we look in the mirror. Still, most are afraid to admit an even greater problem; which is; that the Bible and Christianity equates blackness to sin. Consequently, as I’ve said often, the only solution is to quit the Judeo Christian God and his Bible, and stop -immediately- from spending another dime to change our hair.

Whenever we can muster up the courage to do those two things, our collective minds will be Emancipated from the Mental Slavery that is still causing us to fry our brains with toxic hair products, and burn our skin with toxic bleaching creams.

Showing this movie on OWN is a small step. But Oprah and Michelle Obama could actually start the process of manifesting Heaven here on Earth for black people, by leading the crowd to Wear Natural Black Hair.

3. I am a PROUD darker skin woman. Thank you for making the film available on June 23rd. I will be viewing it with my son and daughter.

4. Solange says:

Is it possible to watch it in Sweden?!

5. america says:

I am a beautiful brown woman and my perspective is that it feels that we set ourselves back by making slavery movies and shows that demean us. ATTENTION! We are not the first slaves or the last! What about the Hebrew slaves and modern day slavery! We don’t see people of those origins running it in the ground! BROWN girls suffer enough of abuse from rap music degrading them; embarrassing them on television does nothing but cause more self esteem issues because they are exposing their emotions to the public thus causing more humiliation! I am 27 years old and i have never had low self esteem because my father gave me unconditional love! I believe they it is the way we are raised has the greatest influence on our lives. For instance I am sure many other girls have felt that they want long hair; its ironic because my hair has never been as long as it is now as a kid.. But I am sure that my mothers mother was taught how to grow long hair

6. america says:

Everytime I see things like this, I just woo-saa and remember that the important men like Denzel Washington and Barak Obama have brown wives! Halleluah

7. Melo says:

Living in Chicago, and being a non-black and light-skinned male, I get a lot of hateful behavior from black women. Some from the black community have told me that darker-skinned people do not like lighter-skinned people because light-skinned people have things easier. Whatever the case, I hope to catch this documentary also as it’s time for the black community to come to terms with these issues.

8. Aboriginal woman of mixed race/Australia says:

If you saw me today you would not look at me as a dark skinned woman, yet this was my experience as a young girl growing up in Australia. I was teased – bullied and ostracized by white kids and constantly compared as under par to white girls from my brothers and extended family. I have straight dark brown hair and don’t know the afro hair experience but the level of racism and the attack on my skin colour was enough for me in this country to contribute to a poor self-image. Today I constantly get mistaken for a mediterranean person and white people ask me where I get my colour from – now I don’t even get recognized as dark anymore but the feelings and experience of the torment are still present. I grew up as a dark girl to grow into a tanned woman so nobody believes that I would be affected by the level of racism that demeans every aspect of your darkness. I look at dark women and see how much their beauty is overlooked and disregarded – it makes me angry. Dark women are stunning!!! – As beautiful as any other females on this planet and it’s one thing to believe in that yourself but for that to be recognized in the western world would be really affirming for every dark girl who is finding her way.